Thursday, January 20, 2011

Penguin Chocolate Mints


ChemicalEvolution.com was kind enough to hook me up with some samples of products from their site. Caffeine a Holic and Addicted 2 Energy have some reviews of thse products coming up as well so check in there and go by Chem Evo and take a look at the full line up, very amazing site. Anyway, I decided to start with one of the flavors of Penguin Mints simply because they have been around for a while. Penguin Mints, according to the PBC review, were the gateway to the majority of the unique caffeinated products we know today. I have to say, the fact these little mints lead to stuff such as BioFuel caffeinated popcorn and energy gum is pretty amazing.

Taste: The balance of mint and chocolate is very good in here. I have been eating on these for two days now during class, and I have gotten so attached to the flavor, I almost practically crave it. They also happened to be a hit amongst my friends, I had to keep them in my pocket to conserve them. My major problem is that they aren't exactly easy to eat after ingesting on counter substance. My definition for the term counter substance is anything ingested before or after use that is stronger than the mints and complete overpowers them and leaves a horrible taste in your mouth. Other than that, these are great, and they easily rival Icebreakers or Altoids in the taste department. Rating 8 out of 10

Buzz: 3 Penguins are the caffeine equivalent of one cola beverage. That leads me to beleive that 1 Penguin is about 13 mgs of caffeine. That isn't really powerful, not exactly potent but its a mint, not exactly supposed to be hardcore, right? Well, Mpower Mints have 120 mgs of caffeine, so I guess a mint can be hardcore. But, I am just fine with Penguins being pretty low on caffeine, it just means a slight pick me up when I need it and I can ingest alot more than if they were Mpower. Potent, no, handy, yes. Penguins are defintily a must buy if you like a little bit of buzz, but if you want hardcore its not exactly these. Rating 5 out of 10

Overall Mint Rating 6.5 out of 10

Look: Penguin comes in the standard mint tin. The chocolate variety is mainly brown, white, and silver. I like the color scheme here, I really truly do. The fact that they used more silver than brown is just more appealing to me. I like how they kept it simple and made it work, but it has some downsides. The main one we are looking at is no listing of caffeine amount. I like to have a caffeine amount listed because I like to know what I am getting into. I know Penguin Mints aren't going to be a potent item, but I wouldn't know how many I could ingest before I reached a certain level of caffeine intake. The rest of the package is nice and clean, but I would like to see a caffeine listing on here in the future.

Overall Look Rating 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment